If you're building an SBR or otherwise trying to buy or build an NFA firearm using a gun trust, you'll have to fill out an ATF form called the Responsible Person Questionnaire. This form is officially labelled the "Form 5320.23". You can download it here. If you're following along with our guide, "How to Legally Build an SBR", you can reference the instructions below for completing the RPQ before uploading all trustees' RPQs to the application's Responsible Person Page.
How to Complete the 5320.23 Questionnaire
1. Select ATF Form Type
- Select ATF Form 1 for building an NFA firearm.
- Select ATF Form 4 if you're buying an NFA firearm.
- Make sure you do not accidentally select both.
2. Enter Applicant or Transferee Name and Address
- Enter the name and address of the trust itself.
- This is not your (Grantor) or your trustees' names and addresses.
3. Enter Responsible Person's Name and Address
- 3a: Enter Grantor or Trustee full legal name and home address.
- 3b: Enter Grantor or Trustee telephone number.
- 3c: Enter Grantor or Trustee E-mail address.
- 3d: Enter any aliases or nicknames used. This includes maiden names.
4. Enter Type of Firearm Information
- 4a: Enter the type of firearm you're buying or building.
- 4b: Enter the name and address of the firearm's maker or manufacturer.
- If you're building an NFA item, you'll enter your own name and address.
- If you're buying an NFA item, enter the manufacturer's name and address.
- 4c. Enter the firearm model name. If you're building one, you must create a model name.
- 4d. Enter the Caliber or Gauge. Reference our Form 1 guide for specifics on this section.
- 4e. Enter the serial number of the firearm. If you're building one, you must create a serial number.
5. Enter Social Security and Birth Date
- Enter the Grantor or Trustee social security number using a 000-00-0000 format.
- Although this is optional, not including SSNs could delay your application.
- Enter the Grantor or Trustee date of birth using a MM/DD/YYYY format.
6. Enter Ethnicity and Race
- 6a: Select the ethnicity of the Grantor or Trustee (Hispanic/Latino or Not Hispanic/Latino).
- 6b: Select the appropriate race of the Grantor or Trustee. You may select more than one.
7. Enter Law Enforcement Notification (CLEO)
- 7: Your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) must be provided a copy of your application
- Enter the CLEO's agency name, name and title of official, and his or her office's address.
- Refer to our "How to File Form 1" guide for more information about this section.
8. Background Check Questions
- 8a to 11: Answer all questions truthfully.
- These are the same questions found on a firearm purchase background check (Form 4473).
- Please note answering "yes" to any of these questions may disqualify your application.
- Sign above "Signature of Responsible Person" after answering all the questions.
- Enter the date you completed the questionnaire in a "MM/DD/YYYY" format.
Complete The CLEO Copy, Too!
You must also fill out the "CLEO Copy" of the Responsible Person Questionnaire. The CLEO Copy is found on pages 5 and 6 of the Form 5320.23 PDF. This version is slightly different than the "ATF Copy" you just completed above. You can't fill out the CLEO Copy digitally. You must print it and fill it out by hand. This is the copy you will provide your Chief Law Enforcement Officer. The CLEO Copy does not need to be uploaded to the NFA application.